Monday, April 14, 2008

30 Minutes My Foot

Things are still pretty quiet around here. Finding "low key" things to do is getting trickier, but I've found an answer: The Food Network. My children are enthralled with Rachael Ray and Giada de Laurentiis (my husband likes Giada too, but for different reasons). They are also taking a liking to Tyler Florence (who wouldn't?!).

Yesterday, while watching "30 Minute Meals," my son said "That looks really good, mommy. Could you make it?" So I ti-vo'd it, wrote down every step and every ingredient and headed to the store (which obviously isn't part of the 30 minutes).

Here's what I now know - I always suspected it - but now it's reality. There is a difference between Rachael's 30 minute meals and those of people in the real world.

She doesn't have a dog whining, a phone or doorbell ringing. She doesn't have two small children pulling at her shirt tails asking for chocolate milk and to hold them. Her husband isn't trying to have a conversation with her and her boss isn't calling from China needing favors. She doesn't have to set the table. All of her ingredients are at the front of the pantry and the fridge and she has every gadget, pan and bowl already out and ready to go.

If she had my life, the show would be "Meals you could strive to make in 30 minutes but really can't." Someday her perky little disposition will meet real world circumstances. Until then, I'll just watch and wish that a tasty, healthy meal was never more than 30 minutes away.

No comments: