We’ve been playing catch up lately. But first, let me catch YOU up. I have no idea who reads my blog – I thought only a few key friends, some family, maybe a random blog spotter. But word has it that I have a wider audience than I realized. So if you haven’t been reading until recently, here’s what’s going on in our lives.
We sold our house a couple of weeks ago. It’s been on the market since the middle of January. We wouldn’t let ourselves stress about it this time. And life wouldn’t let us. In the middle of showings, open houses, etc, I had surgery and got sick and lost about 2 months of the year. I wasn’t in a coma or anything; I just choose to block it out! During that time, a couple latched onto the house and sold theirs, and voila! So in a little less than three weeks, we’ll be loading the moving trucks and heading back “home” to the same town as all of our family.
This was a decision we didn’t come to lightly. It came on the heels of my son being very sick on an insanely long car ride. During the 18 or so hours of driving home with him vomiting every 10 minutes, then spending 4 days in the hospital, I had a lot of time to think. After a total meltdown, my husband and I realized that we needed a life change. Moving back home would do it – we’d be nearer to our families to help us when life knocked us down. We’d be blocks away from helping them when they needed it. Our families log lots of miles getting to us, and us to them. This way, we’re just minutes apart. My children are ecstatic!
But this wasn’t the only life change needed. I needed to be home with my son. He’s missed 20 days of school this year due to his immune disorder that sucks energy, health and weight out of him. We’ve had three hospital stays and too many appointments to count. Moving home and into an older home has afforded me the opportunity to turn in my notice at work – as of June 1, I will be home with my children for the summers and after school. I will be home with them on school holidays. I’ll be home when they are sick. My son thinks I’m so cool because I’m going to be a teacher (well, at least a sub).
So that’s where we are. I realized this weekend while I was packing boxes that all of it has absolutely been the Lord’s plan. My kids laid on the couch in their jammies all day Saturday and watched movies. I don’t often let them do this. When I asked if they were ok, my son said “Yes. We’re just catching up on rest while you are home with us.” Between boxes, I sat with them and snuggled.
“This is the best,” he said, smiling (Yes, SMILING!). “I love being home with you.”
That’s all I needed to hear to remind myself that it’s time for ME to catch up – with my son, my parents, our family – and even myself. It's time to allow my world to stop spinning and focus on the stuff that's important. It's going to be a very good thing.
1 comment:
I've been reading for a few months now since I just had to see what Joy was bragging about :) She was right, you are a wonderful writer! We're contemplating a big move as well to be closer to my family and it's been nice to get perspectives from different people. It's nice to know you're doing the right thing for the right reasons. Good luck with your move!
Christi Carnes
Post a Comment