Saturday afternoon I attended the funeral of our church pastor. The Bishop presided over the service. I would guess that at least 700 people attended – in the sanctuary, the fellowship hall, and the balcony. It felt more like a church service than a funeral – and he would have wanted it that way.
This was the first time I can remember being in church and so overwhelmingly feeling the presence of the Lord. I don’t often stop long enough to allow the Spirit to come over me. But on this afternoon, I did. Almost every person in the church was Lutheran and knew the liturgy. No one skipped a beat. Every song was familiar and the most beautiful German and Swedish hymn voices sang together in unison in every range. It was like a beautiful cantata. The hand bells were rung and communion was served by our Bishop. Every person knew the creeds and the prayers. Everyone knew when to stand and sit. When the Bishop said, “And let the people say…” we immediately knew what came next.
It was perfectly choreographed – only it wasn’t. It was all of these people coming together to commend Mike into the arms of the Lord. And he was amazing at leading our church – and it was evident at this service to honor him. As I sat and envisioned him seated with the Father, gazing down at the love and friendship in that room – for him and for our Lord – I could see him beaming his huge smile.
In my nearly 30 years, I have never experienced – or even heard of – the death of an active minister in a church. The Bishop mourned along with the people. Our church has a rough road ahead. Mike’s shoes will be hard to fill - we’ve lost a great man.
But where else in the world would Mike rather be? If he cannot be here with his family, his congregation – his place is at the most beautiful church of all. With gold on the floors and a heavenly host of angels singing, with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit holding his hands.
And let the people say…Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment