Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hurry Up and Slow Down

I’ve been fighting what I thought was an allergy flare up for a week. But then it turned into a cold…then it moved to my chest. After scaring my husband in the middle of the night sounding like a barking seal, I called the doctor and went in. He listened to my chest and back for a few moments, and then he said “When is your last day at work?”

This is the same doctor who takes such wonderful care of our son through all of his maddening illnesses. He’s also a dear friend, so he knows the ins and outs of our life.

I told him I had another month. “When are you moving?” I told him three weeks.

He started writing prescription orders. Then he looked up at me and placed his hand on my knee. “You need to hurry up and slow down. You’ve never been sick much, yet I’ve seen you 6 times in three months. Do you see a trend?”

He handed me three scripts. There was one for an antibiotic, one for a cough suppressant, and then another one – to help me sleep. I was surprised it wasn’t for a psychiatrist – because I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m a nutcase. But he’s right of course (about slowing down). And I’ll take his words to heart. I’ll sleep at night for at least a few weeks after our move – then my mom is having her hip replaced and we’ll be pacing the nights away at the hospital. Someday we’ll all hurry up and slow down. Until then, I guess that’s what caring friends, doctors and good medicine are for.

No comments: