Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First of First

Today is our son's first day of first grade. It's really quiet without him around! We've been transitioning the bed time and wake up routine so that it wasn't a total shock to his "I need 14 hours of sleep a night to be happy" system. He woke up a little reluctantly at 6:45, but raring to go. Last night we had the opportunity to visit the school, meet his teacher, drop off his supplies and tour the building so that he'd be more comfortable - but the champion that he is, he didn't have a single issue (except for his sister giving him sloppy wet kisses in front of everyone).

Here is our little man (and his little sis) ready for the big day.

He also has the exciting opportunity to attend school with his cousin. Both of them are new at the school, and it was fun for them to learn that their 1st and 4th grade classes are "buddies," so they will do projects and/or reading together every Friday.


There were no tears this morning, but admittedly I have some anxieties over this new arrangement. The school is rural, and I didn't notice until last night that it is surrounded by fields (so I think, "great, hay fever waiting to happen"). And when I told his teacher that he missed 39 days of school ill last year, she said, "Ah, that's nothing. Most of these kids miss 50-60 to help bring in cattle and harvest."

GULP.

But he is one of 16 kids in his well-air conditioned classroom in a newly remodeled and caring-teacher-filled school, and already has decided that it's going to be awesome. Funny how kids just put their parents' anxieties to rest. He's my brilliant, brave, boy - and I'm excited for this new chapter in his life (although, I do already miss him and can't wait for 3:45 to arrive!).

2 comments:

Theresa Walker said...

Is he going to Southeast of Saline? I couldn't come up with any other schools near Salina that are in the "fields". I student taught there, and loved it. I think that Quentin and Krystal Breese still teach out there too.

Rhonda said...

We are set to start tomorrow! The clothes are picked out, the backpack is waiting by the door. Now I should probably go to bed, so I can get up in the morning...