Monday, August 4, 2008

It's HOT Outside

Today is day 5 of 100+ heat. I really shouldn't complain - today is day 22 of the same heat in Texas, and I know my friends there are REALLY tired of it! But it poses an interesting dilemma - what to do with yourself and kids.

Well, yesterday, my parents stepped in to rescue my son from Grouchland. They took him for the afternoon and gave him 1:1 attention for nearly 7 hours. They played computer games, card games, and watched the Royals kick the White Sox' butts. He was in heaven. In the meantime, I snuck away with my daughter to the mall (what else is there when it's 105?) to buy her a few fall outfits, hoping we would fate in cooler weather.

My daughter is 2 going on 12. She skipped through the mall for a few hours and had a ball. Here are some of the more memorable moments:

  • We started out with a stop at TCBY. She had a raspberry dreamsicile swirl and ate it all. We ventured on and within a few minutes she said, "Can we stop for ice cream?"
  • Looking at clothes, she held an outfit up and said, "Aww, this is so cute. It would look even cuter on me!"
  • At every store, she announced, "I have to go potty."
  • She picked out new socks and undies - all Disney princesses. That's my girl!
  • She wanted to throw money in the fountain. She got out my purse and dug for change. Bypassing every penny and nickel, she threw in a gallon of gas worth of quarters.
  • When I asked what she thought of an Elmo dress, she said, "It's not cute at all. I am NOT a baby, mommy."
  • When discussing shoes, she said "I need furry boots. That's all." Somehow I think daddy will know better than that!
  • At our second stop at the ice cream store, she got chocolate swirl. "This tastes like coffee instead of fruit. I LOVE it!"
  • She told daddy when he came in from work, "I went shopping with mommy today. And she didn't buy anything. But I did!"

No comments: